US sci-fi and fantasy writers (SFWA) are currently holding their annual conference in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania this weekend, and last night, the organization announced the winners of its prestigious Nebula Awards.
N.K. Jemisin The Stone Sky won the prize for the best novel. It is the latest installment in his trilogy Broken Earth about a distant future of the Earth that experiences periodic and devastating apocalyptic events, and it is a work that establishes Jemisin as one of the best fantasy writers working now. Other winners include Martha Wells' first book Murderbot, All Systems Red who won Best Novella, Kelly Robson's "A Human Stain" for Best Novelette, and "Welcome to Your Authentic Indian Experience" by Rebecca Roanhorse TM ", for Best Short Story.
Jordan Peele's movie Get Out won the Ray Bradbury Award for Best Dramatic Presentation, and Sam J. Miller The Art of Starving won the Andre Norton Science Fiction Award for Young Adults and Fantasy The organization also awarded The Last Unicorn author Peter S. Beagle, the Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master Award. authors known as Joe Haldeman ( The Forever War ), Ursula K. Le Guin ( A wizard from Terramar, Left Hand of Darkness ), Isaac Asimov ( Foundation, I, Robot ) and others.
The ceremony of this ño had the puppeteer Martin P. Robinson, known for playing Mr Snuffleupagus in Sesame Street for 37 years. In his introductory comments (accompanied by Muppets), he spoke about his own love for science fiction and pointed out that, although many creatures make tools, "your tools are dreams, words and ideas, and the places you take us all are wonderful" . , and so necessary in today's world to have dreamers and visionaries. "
The Nebula Awards are given annually by SFWA, whose members nominate their favorite works from last year, this year's nominees represent a diverse body of work from 2017, and several of the books reached our best list of books from last December 2017.
Here is the complete list of winners (in bold) and nominees.The links include the stories or reviews of The Verge :
- Amberlough Lara Elena Donnelly (Tor)
- The strange case of the daughter of the alchemist Theodora Goss (Saga)
- Spoonbenders Daryl Gregory (Knopf; riverrun)
- The stone sky  NK Jemisin (Orbit UK)
- Six Wakes Mur Lafferty (Orbit US)
- Jade City Fonda Lee (Orbit UK)
- Autonomous Annalee Newitz (Tor; Orbit UK 2018)
- River of Teeth  459006] Sarah Gailey (Editorial Tor.com)
- Passing Strange Ellen Klages (Tor.com Publishing)  And then they were there (N-One) Sarah Pinsker (Uncanny 3-4 / 17 )
- Barry & # 39; s Deal Lawrence M. Schoen (NobleFusion Press)
- All Red Systems Martha Wells (Tor.com Editorial)
- The Black Tides of Heaven ] JY Yang (Tor.com Publication)
BEST SHORT STORY
THE BRADBURY RAY AWARD FOR A FEATURED DRAMATIC PRESENTATION
- Get Out (Written by Jordan Peele)
- The Good Place : "Michael & # 39; s Gambit" (Written by Michael Schur)
- Logan (written by Scott Frank, James Mangold, a Michael Green)
- The Shape of Water (Screenplay by Guillermo del Toro and Vanessa Taylor)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Written by Rian Johnson)
- Wonder Woman (Screenplay by Allan Heinberg)
ANDRE NORTON'S PRIZE FOR THE YOUNG FUTURE SCIENTIFIC FICTION OR FANTASY BOOK
- Exo Fonda Lee (Scholastic Press)
- Weaving a round circle Kari Maaren (Tor)
- ] The art of dying of hunger Sam J. Miller (HarperTeen)
- Wants Cindy Pon (Simon Pulse)