CBS CEO and President Les Moonves resigned his post following a new report by Ronan Farrow in The New Yorker that presented new allegations of sexual misconduct. The board of directors of CBS made the announcement on Sunday night, after a CNN report that broke the word of his departure.
CBS says its board of directors and parent company National Amusements announced that they reached an agreement this afternoon that would see Moonves resign immediately. CBS will also donate $ 20 million to organizations that support the #MeToo movement, the amount of which will be "deducted from any severance payments that may be owed to Moonves following the ongoing independent investigation." Moonves will not receive any payment at this time. although whether or not he receives money will depend on the outcome of the investigation.
In late July, Farrow published a lengthy investigation in The New Yorker detailing the allegation that Moonves fostered a workplace where sexual harassment was tolerated, kissed and proposed 6 women and threatened to take retaliation when resisted At that time, Moonves said he had made "some women feel uncomfortable" but denied the allegations of deliberately harming their careers. Following the publication of the report, CBS opened an investigation into the allegations, but allowed Moonves to remain on board as it happened. Prosecutors in LA have not charged Moonves, saying the statute of limitations on the accusations has already expired.
Reports of negotiations on an exit package for Moonves circulated in the last week. CNN cites a couple of executives who say that an agreement for the departure of Moonves is in its final stages, and that the executive will resign on Monday morning, before the end of the investigation. Deadline reports that the $ 100 million payment rumored earlier this week is now off the table, and that the board is seeking to dismiss Moonves "for a cause, which changes everything."
This weekend, Farrow, who won a Pulitzer Prize for his report on sexual assault and harassment by Harvey Weinstein, published a new report that describes additional allegations against Moonves. Six additional women presented themselves, alleging "sexual harassment or aggression in incidents that took place between the 1980s and the beginning of the 1980s." It details incidents in which it is alleged that Mooves was exposed to women, forced them to perform oral sex on him, and "used physical violence and intimidation against them." Another woman filed a new complaint against 60 Minutes executive producer Jeff Fager. In a statement to The New Yorker Moonves says that some of the meetings happened, but that they were agreed upon, while CBS reaffirmed its commitment to its investigation.
Updated September 9, 2:45 PM ET : updated to include details of Deadline .
Updated September 9, 7:55 PM ET : CBS announced the departure of Moonves from CBS, effective immediately. This publication and title have been updated with details about their departure.