The Roma seek a historic return in the Eternal City – Champions League in Opta numbers
While the Roma try to reach a Champions League first, we see the best events of Opta around their return match with Liverpool.
Liverpool seems to have one foot in the Champions League final, but can not take anything for granted when facing Roma in the second leg of semifinals on Wednesday.
Jurgen Klopp's men beat Roma 5-2 in the first leg, Mohamed Salah produced a dazzling performance against his former club.
No team has overturned a defeat in the first leg of 5-2 in the long history of the competition.
However, hope springs up in the Eternal City after Rome rallied from a 4-1 deficit to knock out Barcelona with a 3-0 win at home in the quarterfinals.
The Roma have an impressive record at the Stadio Olimpico, where they have usually been stronger in defense, but Liverpool's attack rivals any other in Europe this season.
Here, we examine the best Opta data that surround the return device …
Rome v Liverpool
– Liverpool have yet to lose to Rome in the European Cup / Champions League in four meetings (W2 D2), with one of those draws in the 1984 final (1- 1), Liverpool won 4-2 on penalties at the Stadio Olimpico.
– This is Liverpool's tenth appearance in the European Cup / Champions League semifinals – they have progressed to the final on seven of the previous nine occasions, losing only in 1964-65 against Inter and in 2007- 08 against Chelsea.
– Roma is the only team to have conceded a goal at home in the Champions League this season (five matches). They have also won each of their last four games at the Stadio Olimpico (including two by three clear goals), but they never won five straight.
– The Reds scored 38 goals in this season's competition, the most by an English team in a single season of the Champions League. In fact, since the new format was introduced in 2003-04, only Real Madrid (41 goals in 2013-14) has scored more than Liverpool this season.
– Liverpool is the first team in the history of the Champions League to see three players score eight or more goals in a single season (Salah 10, Firmino 10, Mane 8).
Liverpool front 3 this season =
Mané #UCL pic.twitter.com/MInn0oxcBl
– UEFA Champions League (@ChampionsLeague) April 30, 2018
– Salah has scored in each of his last five starts in the Champions League for Liverpool, a feat that only Steven Gerrard had previously achieved for the club (between October 2007 and February 2008) ).
– Roberto Firmino is the fastest player to reach the mark of 10 goals in the Champions League, having achieved only in 11 games (like Adriano). In addition, only Cristiano Ronaldo (18) has participated in more goals than the Brazilian (16 – 10 goals, 6 assists) in the competition this season.
– James Milner has conceded eight assists in the Champions League this season, the set – the majority in a single campaign in the competition since the new format was introduced, at Neymar's level at 16-17.
– Edin Dzeko has scored in each of his last four Champions League games, the longest race in the competition for a player from Rome.
– Roma goalkeeper Alisson has saved 20 blank shots he has faced at the Stadio Olimpico in the Champions League this season.